Pizza Joes

Since school has started my life has gone from the normal busyness of being a mom with 5 kids to "super-crazy-busy-mom-that-has-to-be-in-three-places-at-once". Needless to say my "extra" things like cooking new recipes has gone right down the tubes and I find myself turning more and more to our old stand-by dinners. You know the kind where you always have the ingredients on hand and can throw it together in 10 minutes flat and everyone is reasonably happy with them. For me it's tortilla soup, world's easiest enchiladas, taco salad, or just plain spaghetti or tacos. It's fine and better than eating out, but sometimes gets a little old after a while. Here's a new one I found in one of the Taste of Home magazines that I am adding it to my crazy night list. It's a combination between sloppy joes and pizza, both of which the kids love. It took me 10-15 minutes to make and the kids were thrilled to be eating something different!


The ingredients: Click here for printable recipe.

1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 onion, diced
1 jar (14-oz) pizza sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 cup chopped pepperoni
1 cup shredded mozzarella (or pepper jack) cheese
6 hamburger buns, split (and toasted, if desired)
(Optional): 1 red pepper, diced (the original recipe didn't call for it, but I had an extra one I wanted to use)

Brown ground beef (or turkey) together with diced onion until meat is cooked through. Drain. Add jar of pizza sauce, spices, and chopped pepperoni. Cook on medium heat just until heated through. Serve hot over toasted hamburger bun and topped with mozzarella cheese. Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!