Porcupines

One of my great blogging friends has posted some delicious recipes.  One in particular caught my attention: Porcupines.



This family recipe combines meat, rice in what looks like a delicious tomato-y sauce.  I used quite a few different ingredients, based on what I had on hand, but the end result was something Frog Prince and I really enjoyed.

Porcupines - Adapted from Simply Sara

1 lb. ground beef (I used turkey)
2 T minced onion
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 C brown rice
1 can (14oz) tomato sauce
10 oz. water (~ 1 14/ C)
2 T milk
1 T brown sugar

Combine meat, onion, rice, salt and pepper in a bowl. 



Mix and form ~15 meatballs. Place meatballs in a 9x13 glass pan.





Mix together the tomato sauce, milk, brown sugar and water in a bowl and pour over the meatballs.



Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until the rice is tender.



Serve with extra sauce over the top.



These are quite tasty, and were so easy to make! Thanks, Sara. P.S. why are these called Porcupines?!