Ham and Garden Veggie Shells


It started out pretty simple -- make ham and broccoli shells for dinner.  Then, I opened the fridge and saw zucchini and mushrooms staring at me saying "eat me".


Since I really was craving pasta shells, I decided to throw in the whole veggie gang -- and I'm glad I did.  Both Frog Prince and I actually like this version better than the original :)

I don't have many photos either -- it was more of a "clean out the fridge" meal that actually was better than we expected!


Ham and Garden Veggie Shells - Finding Joy in My Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

1/2 lb. whole wheat pasta {about 1/2 a box}
1 bag (16oz) frozen broccoli
1 medium zucchini, quartered
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C diced ham
1 1/2 C extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 T flour
1 C milk
salt and pepper, to taste

Begin by boiling the pasta.

Meanwhile, saute the ham, mushrooms and zucchini together in a large skillet over medium heat.  You may need to add a little olive oil to prevent the veggies from sticking to the pan.

Then, toss in the broccoli.

Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to coat.

Slowly add in the milk, stirring to mix well, until a thick mixture is formed.  Note -- if the mixture is too thick, add more milk!

Add in the cooked and drained pasta.

Then, remove the dish from the heat.

Stir in the cheese and allow the heat in the dish to melt the cheese.

Season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!



Photobucket

This post is linked to: