Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread



My dear friend from back home, got her own apartment when we were in college. I was still living in the dorms, and loved visiting her place. She made excellent food -- but one treat I really enjoyed of hers was her Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. She made it without nuts, just for me :)


I love this bread, but haven't made it in years with Adam's allergy to pumpkin. Thus, I tried it by substituting sweet potato in place of the pumpkin. The result -- tasted just like my dear friend's bread. Delicious.

Pumpkin Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bread - Modified from Angie

1 1/2 C flour (can use 1/2 C whole wheat)
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 C sweet potato puree*
1/2 C applesauce
1 egg, beaten
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. all spice
1/2 C dark chocolate chips

*Add a little water to mashed sweet potato until you reach the consistency of pumpkin puree.

Mix together brown sugar, flour, salt and baking soda.


Combine sweet potato (or pumpkin), applesauce, egg, and spices together.



Combine wet and dry ingredients, adding up to 1/4 C water if needed to make the dough moist. I did not need to add any water to mine.



Stir in chocolate chips.


Pour into a greased loaf pan.


Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and the bread is lightly browned.


Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Then, remove from the pan and cool on a cooling rack.


Cool completely before slicing.


Enjoy!


This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, What Did You Bake Today?, Chocolate Friday, Tammy's In-Seasons Recipe Swap: Pumpkin, In-Season Recipe Swap: Sweet Potatoes, Bake at 350's Flavor of the Month and Fall into Flavor.