Harvey Wallbanger Cake...Hic....

This recipe is dedicated to Deb over at Debs Key West Wine & Garden . This recipe brings back a lot of memories for us both. This is the very first drink Deb ever tried. For me it was a Screwdriver... so...we had a similar taste in cocktails and what might be taste-worthy back-in- the-day.

Lillian the birthday girl loved her little orange mouthfuls of Harvey Wallbanger cupcakes. I had to include this recipe on my blog, but it comes with a warning. It is hard to eat just one!!!!! I took the remainder to work and I didn't see even one. They disappeared that fast!

For all you gourmands this might not be a cake recipe that you would make. So, scroll down to my other recipes right away!!! Why wouldn't you make it you say? It uses a cake mix. Yes a cake mix.. from a box! In my defense it utilizes a cake mix that is hard to find. Does that put it back in the class of gourmet cooking?
I knew though that once I mentioned the Harvey Wallbanger cupcakes in my last post I would have the curious wanting to view the recipe. To make the Harvey Wallbanger Cake you have to find a package of Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix. I imagine it is more readily available in some city centres. When I do see it in the baking aisle of any local grocery store I snap it up for future baking projects. The cake is just so good as is, with its lovely cream cheese icing that I had to include it here on my blog.

Cooking for me is not always about showing off my skills. Although I definitely love a challenge as well. Sometimes those challenges turn out to be the biggest flops in my kitchen! I have fun trying though!! I love to make down home comforting , tried and true recipes as well. The reviews from friends and family are always the same whether you spend hours in the kitchen or a half hour. Everyone is always so appreciative no matter what! I love when someone else cooks for me and it doesn't have to take hours of preparation time and planning. So, if anyone wants to invite me to dinner I am available...wink...wink...especially on a week night!!!

**Harvey Wallbanger Cake**

1 package Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix
1 package vanilla instant pudding (3.75 oz)
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
4 oz water
4 oz frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed, undiluted
3 oz Galliano
1 oz vodka
*********************
Blend all ingredients in a large bowl; beat for 5 minutes with an electric mixer. Pour into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
Bake at 350F for 45 - 55 minutes. Cool in pan about 15 minutes. Remove and spread with glaze.

NOTE: I love to use a cream cheese frosting on mine, but the glaze is also good. I also baked it in cupcakes this time. The directions on the box suggested baking the cupcakes for 15 - 18 minutes, but it took about 20 -25 minutes at 350F. Perhaps that was because of the alcohol included?

Glaze:

1 T orange juice (undiluted)
1 T vodka
1-1/2 T Galliano
1 cup confectioner's sugar (icing sugar)

Blend all ingredients and drizzle over cake. Chill cake in refrigerator 1 hour.
OR:

Cream Cheese Frosting:

4 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp Galliano and 1 tsp orange juice concentrate
1 (8-oz) block cream cheese, softened

Beat the powdered sugar, flavourings and cheeses with a mixer at low speed just until well blended (do not over beat). Spread the frosting over the cake; cover and chill 1 hour.