Chipotle Bean Burritos for Cinco de Mayo

 
Chipotle Bean Burritos

I don't confess to being an expert on Mexican food. In fact I could count the number of true authentic Mexican restaurants in the valley on the fingers of one hand. If we count the chain restaurants like Taco Bell and Taco del Mar we could use both hands. I do love good Mexican food so this is where the week in a kitchen in central Mexico in a small mountain village would come in handy.

Even the ingredients to put an authentic meal on the table are hard to find. On my last trip to Costco in Seattle I thought I had hit pay dirt when I found some masa farina but it turned out to be terrible and I don't think the result is what I have been looking for. I will still keep looking and one day I may be able to make authentic dishes at home.
Until I can take that culinary holiday to Mexico I will celebrate for Cinco de Mayo. It is an important milestone in Mexican history, and revelers are happy to help celebrate the occasion with special menus and festive cocktails. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day as I have been told,  but actually commemorates the May 5, 1862, Battle of Puebla, in which a formidable French army was trounced by a small Mexican contingent under the command of General Ignacio Zaragoza. The victory didn't result in immediate Mexican independence (that came five years later), but it still holds symbolic significance, particularly in Puebla, as well as in Mexican communities all across the United States.

For me the occasion gives me a valid excuse to put something on the table that, although is not authentic Mexican, it is in the spirit of the Mexican people. In the meantime this burrito disguised as a wrap was the perfect way to celebrate! It is so quick and easy to prepare for a mid week meal or when you are just in a hurry to get to the festivities!!!

**Light Chipotle Bean Burritos**

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
1 (15-ounce) can organic black beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, drained
3 tablespoons refrigerated fresh salsa
6 (10-inch) reduced-fat flour tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato (about 3)
1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
6 tablespoons light sour cream

********************
 Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in chile powder and salt; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/3 cup water and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salsa. Partially mash bean mixture with a fork.

 Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/3 cup bean mixture into center of each tortilla. Top each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons cheese, 1/4 cup tomato, 1/4 cup lettuce, 1 tablespoon onions, and 1 tablespoon sour cream; roll up.


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://goodfoodcorner.blogspot.com. Content must be credited to this author.