Quick Chicken Mole with Rice

This recipe I found in a Taste of Home magazine was super quick and easy to make and a bit different than our normal fare. The first time I made it, it was a bit too spicy for a couple of the younger ones, but after I cut the chipotle pepper in half and used a mild salsa instead of medium it was fine.  The kids were fascinated by the fact it had cocoa in it and they all eagerly devoured their servings of the milder version.  Of course, I conveniently forgot to mention that it was also healthy for them and my 12-year-old daughter begs me at least weekly to make it again soon! 


Click here for printable recipe.  


The ingredients:
1-1/2 cups chunky salsa
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. unsalted peanuts, divided (I only had salted peanuts)
chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (I only used 1/2 pepper)
1 Tbs. lime juice
1 Tbs. baking  cocoa
1-lb. chicken tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tsp. olive oil
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro

Directions:  In a food processor, combine salsa, 1/4 cup peanuts, chipotle pepper, lime juice, and cocoa; cover and process until blended.


In a skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until no longer pink.  Add broth and salsa mixture.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Serve over rice; sprinkle with cilantro and remaining nuts.  Enjoy!