Taste of the Mediterranean- Layered Hummus


When it comes to hummus and tzatziki I usually cheat big time and purchase both from a local Greek restaurant here in our area. The Greek House Restaurant sell their products in stores throughout the interior including their lemon potatoes and rice. These dips are great in a pinch, perfect for my lunch wraps and just as good, if not better, than anything I can come up with.

So when I read that Tony Tahhan’s Taste of the Mediterranean event this month was focused on Lebanon... one of my favourite cuisines and Hummus... one of my favorite foods... I knew I was in! This is the recipe I always use for hummus using either dried chickpeas that are soaked overnight and then cooked or canned. I decided to step it up a notch and make a layered dip for a special occasion. So here is what I came up with.
The deadline for submissions was July 15...but if you recall I was busy celebrating at that time as well as working mega hours at the Easter Seal Camp. Tony does such great work with his blog I just wanted to bring his blog and this event to your attention!!!

**Layered Hummus**

2 -1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8 -1/4 cup tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 T olive oil

1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup water

Pesto Layer

1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 T pine nuts toasted
2-3 cloves garlic
¼ cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled for topping
*****************
Put 1/2 of the lemon juice and all of the ingredients except the chickpeas into the blender. Blend for 5 seconds. Now add the chick peas and blend on high until your hummus reaches a smooth consistency about 10-15 seconds.

Taste. If the dip is too thick, but you don't want to add the remaining lemon juice, add a little water slowly and blend until it reaches the desired consistency.

In a small blender jar place all the ingredients for the green layer and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

Pour 1/2 of the hummus into a clear serving bowl. Add your green layer and then add remaining hummus. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. (It can be eaten immediately, but becomes even more flavorful if left to chill well.)

Top with crumbled feta cheese and a drizzle of olive oil before serving. Serve with pita wedges or slices of whole grain breads or crackers.

Serves 6