URS: Allergy-Friendly


I have a food allergy. So does my sister. And, my mother-in-law. Frog Prince does too. It seems that almost everyone knows someone who has to learn how to cook slightly differently in order to avoid their allergens. This week, Ultimate Recipe Swap is sharing recipes that are free from some of the top allergens.

In our kitchen, we cook 100% tree-nut free. All of our recipes are tree nut-free. No cashews. No brazil nuts. No almonds. No pecans. No walnuts. No nuts. These allergens never enter our home. Every packaged item gets the label checked carefully because packaging processes change all-too often.

Many of my friends and family members have wanted to learn how to cook for a person with allergies. My best advice -- talk to the person you know because everyone's allergies are different. For me, I'm not comfortable with certain things that other people who have allergies might be and vice versa.

If you do want to cook for someone with allergies, it's important to remember that even just a small amount of allergen has the potential to cause a severe reaction in an allergic-person. By reading labels, it's fairly easy to avoid the allergen... but, it's also important to think about cross-contamination in your kitchen... utensils, towels/cloths, or even your hands can bring allergens in contact with foods that normally would be safe for an allergic girl like me.

Take a look around my blog -- if you're looking for nut-allergy friendly recipes, you'll find them here.

A few recipes that are hard to find nut-free we've made are: