Granola









Granola is my favorite breakfast cereal. I used to be addicted to Life. I still like Life, but granola has topped the breakfast chart for me. Why?



Granola is healthy (oats are awesome for you), it's cheap (I scored oatmeal for 4 cents an ounce), cinnamon is a great spice, it's versitile (over ice cream, applesauce, yogurt, or with milk or dried fruits).





And, with a nut-allergy, I can't buy pre-made granola, so I'm thrilled that I too can enjoy granola :)





Here's my favorite granola recipe. If you use oil rather than butter, you can use less and it gets crunchier :)



Brown Sugar Granola - Finding Joy in My Kitchen

{Print Recipe}



1-2 T butter or olive oil

3/4 - 1 C brown sugar, packed

1/4 C water

1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

7-8 C oats {quick or Old Fashioned}

Dried fruit, etc.





Melt butter, brown sugar and water together in a pan over medium heat. Stir well, and allow mixture to simmer for 2-3 minutes.





In a bowl, mix together cinnamon and oats and add to the brown sugar mix.



Remove from the heat and stir until all oats are well coated. Place granola on a cookie sheet (with edges), and bake for 5 minutes at 375.



Remove from the oven, and stir/flip granola and bake for another 5 minutes until granola is lightly browned. Allow granola to cool on the cookie sheet.







Transfer to an airtight container when cool. Granola will keep for a couple of weeks in an airtight container... but ours never lasts that long!



Photobucket





This post is linked to: Ingredient Spotlight (X2)