Chunky Potato & Swiss Chowder


We all have a list of comforting dishes in our repertoire that we pull out when the going gets rough. My life is a little up in the air and I find myself in need of some serious comfort food. What happens when life hands you lemons...you don't add them to this comforting soup....wink...wink...You pull up your socks and bring out the big guns. In my case it is my immersion blender. It's creamy, comfort soup making time!!!

Nothing to me says home cooking like a nice warm soup and a slice of homemade bread fresh from the oven and slathered in butter on a cold, dreary day. To each of us comfort food would mean something different. Perhaps it is that dish your mom or your Great Aunt Gertie made you as a child, it may be something that reminds you of a great restaurant or a period in your life. Whatever it is I suggest you eat your comfort foods often over the winter months!!!!

There have been many versions of squash soup on the Internet lately..this is my version!! I have made this particular soup for years with the original recipe coming from Cooking Light magazine. This makes it perfect for Ruth's Kitchen Experiments event Bookmarked Recipes .

**Chunky Potato & Swiss Chowder**

cooking spray
2 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups cubed, peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1-1/2 lbs)
1 cup cubed carrot (about 1/2 lb)
1 cup cubed yellow squash (such as butternut or Hubbard)
2 (14 oz) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 cup hot cooked wild rice
1 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
chopped fresh parsley
*****************
Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in potato and next 4 ingredients (potato through bay leaves); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves.

Place half of the potato mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. (In my case I used my immersion blender and blended it right in the pot). Return pureed potato mixture to pan; stir in rice and the remaining ingredients except parsley. Cook over medium heat until cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.

Serves 4 - 5