Blueberry Coffee Cake

After a hectic work week I think we all look forward to a nice leisurely weekend to do as we please. If we choose to go hiking, kayaking or even mountain climbing then we have to be up early but on those days when we can sleep in and have an unhurried breakfast...all the better because these days are few and far between. This Sunday morning I chose to be a sloth and bake a blueberry coffeecake. I did a little catching up with you guys..but then I headed to the beach where I can catch up with my reading. There won't be too many more days when sitting down by the water will be a relaxing way to spend a sunny afternoon...so I had better take advantage of the sunshine and warm days while they are still here.

I got the idea of the blueberry coffeecake from Cathy at Noble Pig who had made a Cooking Light recipe here which looked absolutely delicious. Since I have a freezer full of blueberries... those super heroes of the antioxidant world... I thought this would be a nice way to start the morning and healthy too!! Cathy's recipe called for buttermilk, but who wants to head to the grocery store on a Sunday morning (although you can use regular milk and just add 1 T of lemon juice for almost the same result), so I opted for an old standby recipe that I have. I used my sunflower cake pan too so this really started my day off sunny!!!!!!!Thanks for the great idea Cathy...you made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**Upside-Down Blueberry Cake**

2 T unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 -1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup unsalted butter; softened,
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2- 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice or orange juice
1/3 cup low-fat milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 T grated lemon zest
*************************
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine 2 tablespoons of the butter and the brown sugar in a small bowl, then spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of a lightly greased 9 inch round cake pan. Spread the berries over the mixture and set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Reserve. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup butter, the sugar, and the eggs, and beat until creamy smooth. Add the reserved dry ingredients, lemon or orange juice, milk, vanilla, and lemon or orange zest, and beat until well blended. Pour the batter over the berries and bake until the top is golden and a skewer tests clean when inserted in the center, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven, run a knife around the insideof the pan and invert the cake onto the plate, fruit side up. Cool slightly before serving warm.

Makes 1 (9-inch cake)
Serves 8 to 12.