Avocado Tzatziki

Not that long ago I was lucky enough to win a cookbook from Elly of Elly Says Opa . She is a talented cook from the States of Greek descent. The cookbook I won is now a vital part of my collection :Cooking From the Hip by Cat Cora.

In the last couple of years Cat Cora has become a familiar face on television's Food Network. She can be seen on Kitchen Accomplished, and co-hosting Melting Pot with chef Rocco DiSpirito. Cat also joined the Food Network's Iron Chef America series. The show is an American version of the Japanese cult series Iron Chef which pits culinary celebrities against each other. Until now, all the Iron Chef contenders were men.

Cat Cora grew up in a Greek-American community in Jackson, Mississippi. Her Mediterranean-flavoured dishes show the influence of both her Greek and American roots.This is the second of many recipes I will feature throughout the next few months by this talented chef.

When Elly sent me this cookbook she happened to mention the recipe for Avocado Tzatziki. I was definitely intrigued. What else could I do but give it a try!!!!! It appealed to me as well since I love tzatziki and all things Greek!!!

Cat Cora says, "Think of this as a California twist on a classic Greek condiment. Adding avocado to the tzatziki gives it a richer flavor and color. It would be excellent with any kind of grilled food such as lamb, chicken, pita, meatballs (keftedes) and fried fish."

In my previous post I served it with a classic Greek dish by Peter at Kalofagas . His recipe for Cheese Stuffed Keftedes is a definite keeper. My daughter loved this version of tzatziki as well and took half of it over to a pool party she was attending. The avocado adds another dimension to the dip creating a silkiness and lightness that is unexpected. Cat adds it in chunks, but , I preferred to mash it for a more creamy texture. Today I served the leftovers with some pita breads and crackers for a nice refreshing dip with...as Cat says... a "California twist".

** Avocado Tzatziki**

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups plain yogurt (or low-fat)
1 cup peeled, seeded and grated cucumber (about 1 medium cucumber)
1 whole peeled avocado, diced small

*********************
Add lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt to the yogurt. Add grated cucumber, diced avocado and mix well. Chill for at least one hour.