I am in Nesting Mode.....Apple Raisin Clawfoot

Fall is my favourite time of the year. I love the crispness of the air...you can just smell it coming!!! I know that it is only the third week of August and it is still 35C and we are melting, but, with all the wonderful squash, corn and tomatoes in the market it sets off a time clock in my head..... nest... hunt... and gather it says.

When I lived in Eastern Canada the fall colours were incredible as they are in the east. I have memories of long Sunday drives and rustling through leaves on hiking trails, going to the farm stands for produce and picking pumpkins with my daughter in the pumpkin patch; climbing pioneer fences and picking apples and pears. We can do all the same things here in British Columbia, but, there is something missing in colour. We are missing the WOW Factor!!!! The forests here consist of pine, fir and poplar. To be fair, every so often there is a hint of red peeking up from the underbrush and with the sumac trees dotting the side of the road. In the city the streets are lined with maple trees so you still get to rustle through the leaves even here, so, the fall is not lost on me all together. Fall is the time for comforting soups, shepherd's pie and macaroni and cheese. In the hot days of summer the last thing I want to cook or eat is a heavy comforting meal. It is salads, BBQ and little cleanup for me!!!!

In the forecast this morning it called for rain so I felt like having a touch of comfort food for breakfast. I make this breakfast dish when I have some real time in the mornings...usually on weekends. It takes a while to cook in the oven. You can simply dust it with icing sugar or drizzle with maple syrup. No matter what you choose it is delicious. I think they call it "clawfoot" because when you cut into it the slices of apples and raisins appear somewhat like claws of a cougar. I enjoy it no matter what. This is my comfort food!!!!


**Apple Raisin Clawfoot**


2 - 4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3 T butter
1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1 T vanilla
2/3 cup flour
powdered sugar for garnish

*****************
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8-cup shallow baking dish (12-inch pie plate) with non-stick cooking spray.

Saute apples in a large skillet over medium heat in hot butter until lightly browned. Add raisins, nutmeg or cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.

Place milk, eggs, vanilla, flour and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes. Spread apple mixture in pie plate. Pour batter over apples. Bake 1 hour.

Remove from oven and dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm.

Serves 4