Honey Oat Bread



My mom can make a mean loaf of bread.


While we haven't purchased a loaf of store-bought bread in 3 years, I still have a lot to learn about making amazing bread.


I took a few lessons from my mom and tried out a new bread - Honey Oat Bread.


Honey Oat Bread - Mom {via Kitchen Aid Mixer Cookbook}

1 1/2 C water
1/2 C honey
1/3 C butter
3 C whole wheat flour
3 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1 C quick cooking oats
4 1/2 tsp. yeast
2 eggs

Heat honey, water and butter in a pan until butter is melted and mixture reaches 120-130 degrees.



Then, combine oats and 5 C flour in your mixer base.  Add in the salt and yeast, and mix the dry ingredients together.


Add the warm honey butter mixture to the flour, and mix for 1 minute using speed 2 on the kitchen aid mixer.


Add eggs, and mix an additional minute.


Add remaining flour; knead about 4 minutes.

Cover and rise for 1 hour until it doubles in size.



Divide dough into two, and shape into two loaves.  I tried rolling up the bread, as some suggest.... it looked pretty!


Cover, and allow the dough to rise again for 1 hour, or until doubled.


Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven, and take loaves out of the pan and allow to cool on a wire wrack.


Makes 2 loaves; sliced into 16 slices yields 134 calories and 3g fat/slice.



I made this recipe in my Classic Kitchen Aid Mixer; however, in making it again, I would divide the recipe in half.  It was a BIG batch for my mixer :)  My mom has the heavy-duty mixer, and this was not a challenge for her mixer at all.  



Photobucket

This post is linked to Potluck Sunday, Mouthwatering MondayTasty Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table