A Recipe for Mini Pecan Cranberry FiloTarts


Sometimes you find something that just works. We each have our own traditions and family favourites that are offered to family and friends alike during this festive season. I usually make very few Christmas treats, so thank goodness for generous friends who will shower me with baked goods. During the holidays Chocolate Fondue always comes into play for dessert and I offer only a few cookies from my own repertoire each year. Needless to say somehow we are never shy of an overabundant amount of special treats for the holiday season. They have a way of multiplying of their own free will!!!



Mini Pecan Cranberry Filo Tarts

 Here it is already the 7th of December and I have made only one successful cookie for the holiday season...sigh. If the truth be known I think cookies were invented to ruin my baking confidence. It is a conspiracy I tell you!!!!Each year I start out confidently with  rice flour, berry sugar, quality chocolates and a myriad of other baking treats ready and waiting in my cupboards. Every year I browse through recipes (with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head) and make hard decisions on what will grace my holiday platters... besides the tried and true family favourites. Everything looks so tempting and the magazines make you feel anything is possible with their glossy photos!!!! Alas there have been several attempts and failures so far this year. I have come to the conclusion that cookie baking is the "devils work" so I will stick with what I know, the rest I'll purchase; or alternatively serve Okanagan cheeses and grapes!! Now ask me to make a luscious cheesecake or a layered torte and I will be there, and the results will be amazing!!!!!Somehow cookies are my nemesis. Oh well, we all have our strengths don't we.  Maybe my non-cookie baking skills are a gift because if I had mountains of holiday treats ready and waiting I would have to eat them, and we know all that butter and chocolate will go straight to my hips. So I stick with the notion that I am gifted:D

One cookie, (I will call them that), that turned out beautifully this year were these easy, peasy pecan and dried cranberry laiden filo tarts. The little filo tarts are premade so how can you go wrong. My kind of cookie!!!!!!They remind me of my Canadian favourite Butter Tarts but with a crispy, crunchy outer shell.

This recipe was such a success I wanted to send it right away to Susan at Food Blogga's event Eat Christmas Cookies 2009. You can even see the roundup here and find many delightful recipes for the holiday season. So here they are. I even sprinkled them with gold coloured sugar just for you!!!If I can make them, you can too.  Perfect eye-candy for your holiday guests who will think you have slaved for hours on these incredibly tasty treats!!! Happy baking!!!!

**Mini Pecan Cranberry Filo Tarts**
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3 (2.1-ounce) packages frozen mini phyllo tart shells
Garnishes: whipped cream, ground nutmeg

**************************************

Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in cranberries and toasted pecans.

Spoon filling evenly into frozen tart shells. Place shells on a large baking sheet.

Bake tarts at 325° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool. Garnish, if desired.

See how easy they are!!!!








You may also enjoy.....

Maple Butter Tarts
Buttertart Squares - Janet is Hungry
My Mom's Classic Buttertarts - Lisa's Kitchen
Orange Caramel Pecan Tarts - Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
Spiced Pecan Tart - The Canadian Baker
Mini Chocolate Pecan Pies - Andreas Recipes