Tried, Tested and True

We all have a few recipes that we consider to be crowd pleasers and never fail to get rave reviews from our guests or family. These are the recipes that we would consider to be tried, tested and true. When that dinner comes along and we have a houseful of guests it is not the time to be experimenting....that is just too stressful...unless of course that is the purpose of the meal and your guests know they are your Guinea pigs. As we all know not all experiments turn out well!!

Psychgrad and Giz of Equal Opportunity Kitchen are a mother and daughter team from Eastern Canada...my old stomping grounds in Ontario... that share their love of good food and family on every page. My own daughter shares my love of cooking but not my love of blogging, although you will see the occasional recipe of hers on here as well...albeit posted by me. I am quite envious really!! P & G have come up with an event called Tried, Tested and True which I positively couldn't miss. I can't wait to see the lineup of reliable and no fail recipes out there!!

This recipe may look familiar to some as I have posted a Cheddar version before. My sister and I have been making this English Muffin Loaf since we were teenagers and sent away for the recipe from the Fleischmann Yeast Company. I make it periodically and as my sister says it just wouldn't be Christmas in her home without it. It never fails to please family and quests alike. So what makes this recipe tried, tested and true? The verdict is out and two of my blogging friends have given it a 2 thumbs up! The infamous and ever talented Susan at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy and my old friend Belinda (who hasn't been around for a while...we miss you Belinda!) of What's Cooking in a Southern Kitchen both posted about this recipe. Susan made hers in a beautiful round pottery container. Please check out both of these ladies blogs. I could spend hours reading and laughing and enjoying good recipes on their sites.

This recipe brings to mind my British roots with English Muffins at the table at breakfast time. An English muffin has all kinds of nooks and crannys for the butter to seep into. That is also true of this loaf. There is no kneading involved and only one rising in this loaf so it is just so much simpler!!!

** English Muffin Loaf**

1 T sugar
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
2 envelopes Fast Rising Active Dry Yeast
2 cups milk
2 tsp salt
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda

******************
Dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast and let stand 10 minutes then stir well. Combine milk and salt in saucepan. Heat over low heat until lukewarm only. Add milk mixture to dissolved yeast.Add 3 cups flour combined with baking soda. Mix until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining 3 cups of flour to make a stiff batter. Divide batter in half and press into two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pans, that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal and cover. Let rise in a warm place 45 minutes or until centre of loaf is about 1-1/2-inches above edge of pan. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.

Remove from pans and cool. To serve, slice and toast. Spread with butter or your favourite preserves.