Broccoli Pesto Pasta by any Other Name.....


The very talented Ruth over at Once Upon a Feast was one of the first bloggers I ever came across while surfing the net in years gone by...even before I even knew what a blog was. I "googled" a pasta dish of hers and bookmarked it here . The Herbed Three Cheese Penne has always been one of my favourite "go to" recipes to this day. Little did I know that a few years later I would be interested in having my own blog and love to participate in Ruth's invention Presto Pasta Nights. This event has been growing by leaps and bounds and always has a dedicated following. I don't prepare pasta as often as I would like to but this is my entry into this weeks event....a heart healthy and yet flavourful dish.

I have had a few weeks off of work , so, that means more time in the kitchen. That doesn't mean that I want to be a slave to the kitchen... so I opted for this quick and easy recipe today for lunch. I am off to join a friend and head for a walk to enjoy the sunshine!! This pesto is a delicious rendition of pesto to make this time of the year when broccoli is readily available and basil is not. Serve it over your favourite hot pasta...or perhaps make a pesto pasta salad... next time!!

Buoni amici di salute!!!!!


**Broccoli Pesto Pasta**

2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley or perhaps cilantro
1 - 2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts(toasted)
1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese ( I know I use more...just eyeball it)
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese ( I use more here too :D)
2-4 T extra virgin olive oil
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
*******************
Fill a medium saucepan three-quarters of the way full with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes or just until slightly tender, but still with a bit of snap. Drain and immediately immerse the broccoli in ice cold water to retain the bright green color. Drain again, and transfer the broccoli to the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.

Add parsley, garlic, pine nuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and ricotta cheese. Pulse 6-8 times, until the mixture forms a chunky paste. Do not puree! Pulse again, drizzling in a few tablespoons of olive oil at a time. When the mixture reaches the desired consistency, stop and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Serve with pasta of your choice!!


NOTE: You may not need to use all of the olive oil in this pesto recipe.

Makes about 2 cups of pesto.

Per 1/4 cup serving: 97 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 3 g protein, 18% vitamin A, 37% vitamin C, 6% calcium, 4% iron