Vanilla Cranberry Muffins


Over spring break I had the chance to go and visit my grandparents.  My grandmother has recently had some health issues; although she's doing better now, she's been feeling quite exhausted.


I thought it would be a nice treat to bring my grandparents a few foods they could easily stick into their freezer and have a different treat every once and a while.  When Grandma and Grandpa visited last fall, they LOVED the twice baked potatoes we served; so I made up and big batch for them.


The other thing I brought to my grandparents was a batch of muffins.  These made a great breakfast and also a nice afternoon snack, or even a sweet treat as a dessert.


My grandma has since called and asked for both recipes; but beyond that -- she was blessed and touched by our simple gift to them.


I am the blessed one; and I'm thankful that I was able to give the gift of food to them. What are your favorite foods to give?

Vanilla Cranberry Muffins - From Tracey's Culinary Adventures

1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C applesauce
4 T Greek yogurt
2 eggs, room temperature
2 C white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C milk
1 C diced, fresh cranberries
nutmeg, to taste

Combine the vanilla extract and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Using your fingers, or a spoon, work the vanilla extract into the sugar until well combined.


Add in the applesauce and yogurt.  Blend well.



Mix in the eggs.


Combine the flour, baking powder and salt together.  Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk.  Mix until well combined.



Meanwhile, dice up the cranberries.  I used frozen ones, rinsed and sliced in half.


Add the diced cranberries to the muffin batter; fold.


Using a cookie scoop (my new favorite kitchen gadget -- thanks, Rebekah!!) or a tablespoon, spoon the batter into lightly greased muffin cups.  Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg, to taste.



Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.  Makes 12 muffins.


Enjoy!


Photobucket

Linked to: Potluck Sunday, Sundae Scoop, Mouthwatering Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Muffin Monday.