Spiced Country Applesauce



This is my all time favorite applesauce. Hands down.

In fact, I've become kind of an applesauce snob.  (At least I can admit it -- that's the first step, right?)


This is the only applesauce I will eat.

Yes, I use natural, unsweetened applesauce in baking, but to sit down and actually eat a bowl of applesauce, this is the only one that will do it for me.

The texture. Perfect.

The flavor. Amazing.

The fragrance. LOVE.

Try it. Trust me. You'll never go back to anything else either.


When my sister and I were little, we'd wait anxiously for a warm bowl of applesauce. I bet we looked like salivating puppies awaiting their dinner. But seriously, this was our favorite fall treat. Especially when we'd been apple picking :)

I've made this recipe so many times, it really doesn't have an "exact" recipe. This is the written recipe I got from my mom when I moved out on my own, but I usually decrease the sugar and up the amount of apples.

Spiced Country Applesauce - Mom
{Print Recipe}

2 lbs. apples, peeled, and cut
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 C sugar

Wash, peel and slice apples.


In a medium saucepan, bring 1/2 C water to a boil. Add the apples and bring the apples to a boil.



Reduce heat, and simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally. Add water if needed.


Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar.



Serve warm or cold.


*Note: You can scale up this recipe easily. I just made a batch using 6 lbs. of Paula Red apples. Yum. I still used about 1 tsp. lemon juice, but upped the cinnamon and nutmeg. I also keep the sugar at about 1/2 C, if that. I usually add and taste to see whether or not I need more sugar.



Photobucket

This post is linked to: