Sweet Potato Bread


Imagine my delight when I found a recipe for a yeast bread made with, you guessed it, Sweet Potatoes!!


Seeing as I had pureed sweet potatoes siting in my fridge, I decided to give this bread a try.


This bread turned out great and reminded me of a slightly sweeter version of my mom's carrot bread.  It's delicious with a bit of honey, as a side for a hearty bowl of soup, and it's also excellent used in French Toast with cinnamon ... mmm.


Sweet Potato Bread - From I'm Mom, Not a Professional

1 C warm water
1/6 C of honey*
1 T of yeast
1 C whole wheat flour
3 C bread flour**
1 C pureed sweet potatoes
2 T olive oil
3/4 tsp. salt

Begin by combining the warm water, honey and yeast in the base of your mixer.  When yeast is slightly foamy, add in the salt.


Then, mix in the sweet potato and oil.

Finally, add in the flour, 1 C at a time.


Mix on speed 1 or 2 for 2-3 minutes until dough begins to solidify and becomes pliable and smooth.  You will likely need to add additional flour during this step.


Place the dough ball in a lightly greased bowl and cover.  Allow the dough to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.


Punch the dough down after the first rise and then shape the dough into a loaf.

Place the loaf in a lightly greased bread pan.  Cover and allow the dough to rise again until it's one inch above the top of the bread pan.


Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned and the bread sounds hallow when you tap it.


Remove from the bread pan to cool.


Wait to slice it until the bread is cooled.


Enjoy!

*The original recipe called for 1/4 C of honey, I reduced the honey to 1/6 C and really liked the hint of sweetness.

**You may need additional flour during the kneading stage depending on how much moisture is in your sweet potato puree.  I added ~3/4 of a cup.

Photobucket

Linked to: Take a Look Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday