Waffles {of insane greatness}



I love a good waffle.  When I saw Laura's recipe for "Waffles of Insane Greatness" I knew these would quickly move to the top of our "to try" pile!


Just looking at these waffles makes me want to make them again.  Crunchy.  Tasty.  Oh. My.  And the smell of the batter.  Waiting 30 minutes to let the batter set up was challenging (but so worth it!).  

I tweaked the recipe a bit - using whole wheat flour (my favorite KA white whole wheat) and reduced the oil a bit in the recipe (and switched it to olive oil).  We loved them.


Waffles {of Insane Greatness} - Adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

3/4 C wheat flour*
1/4 C corn starch
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 C milk (+ 2 T, if using wheat flour)
1/2 C buttermilk
4 T olive oil
1 egg
3/4 tsp. vanilla


Begin by mixing the dry ingredients together in a bowl.


I've never used corn starch in a waffle before. But, I can check that off my list now.

Then, in a separate bowl, mix the milks, egg, oil and vanilla.


Combine the dry and wet ingredients, mixing until just slightly lumpy.


Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes.


When the 30 minutes is up, pour the batter into the waffle maker. I use a soup ladle -- makes the process so easy! No mess.


Cook according to your waffle makers directions.


Serve warm.


We served ours with raspberry syrup.


These would make a delicious Valentine's day breakfast in bed, boys {hint, hint}.


Are you a waffle fan, or do you prefer the light, fluffy pancake?

*I used King Arthur Flour White Whole Wheat flour, which is ground really finely.  If your wheat flour is more corse, I recommend a 1:1 ratio of whole wheat to all purpose.

Photobucket


This recipe is linked to: Your Recipe, My Kitchen, Mouthwatering Mondays, Ingredient Spotlight