Confessions of a Kofta Burger Lover

Kofta Burger with Tzatziki Sauce

I have a confession to make.

But before I do don't forget to send in your dish for the Best Thing I Ever Ate (recently) challenge here at More Than Burnt Toast. Send your submission to bestdisheverate@gmail.com by midnight February 15th. Read all about it here.

The confession.....here on these pages I am guilty of sometimes making dishes to share with those who read this blog that use ingredients I am not really crazy about. Shhh, that's our little secret.

Let me assure you a recipe that does not turn out well will not appear on these pages but sometimes certain ingredients don't have that SWOON factor for me personally. It is true that my own culinary skills are rejuvenated and I am happy with the recipes that appear on MTBT, but, in 2011 I think I should consider sharing more what I enjoy. I have been trying to incorporate more culinary vacations and learning experiences in my personal life but my life, like yours, revolves around others...but sometimes I need to get off the merry-go-round in the culinary sense?

If you have been following More Than Burnt Toast you will know that I have been creating personal challenges based on a theme to infuse new life into my cooking adventures. I fully believe that every day food should always be an adventure either with new ideas, or, experimenting with a new cuisine. We should always be excited about what we are putting into our mouths and not just eating for sustenance but for sheer pleasure. Yes it is exciting to try new things and new recipes, and I will always continue to experiment, but what if I don't really swoon over mussels or brussel sprouts but want to share the recipe with you! Here lies the dilemma.

There is a whole lot of waste going on here at the More Than Burnt Toast household because I have let others influence me. I eat eclectically and will continue to share what I love best and not let people tell me because I am not from Greece, the Middle East or France that I can't make an authentic dish. We are cooks and no matter where the idea for our recipes comes from originally we infuse our own character, personality and soul into each and every dish we create.
There is not a doubt in my mind that this recipe is all about ME and I will eat every bite, even the leftovers...if there are any!!!! I love Middle Eastern and Meditteranean foods. I am practically hooked up intravenously to yogurt, hummus, tabbouleh and kofta. Here is my vow to myself. I will continue to cook up a storm with exciting ingredients I love and not what I think others will love. The less than earth-shattering truth  is I know that what I love they will LOVE too!!!!

Little tidbit...These Beef Kofta Burgers are the perfect example and are quite popular here. The word kofta is derived from the Persian word kÅ«fta: In Persian, it means "to beat" or "to grind." In its simplest form, koftas consist of balls or logs of minced or ground beef or lamb mixed with spices and/or onions.

The secret is all in the seasoning. Enjoy!



  **Kofta Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce**
 (adapted from The Taste of Africa by Rosamund Grant and Josephine Bacon)

1 pound of ground beef
3 tablespoons finely minced onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
1 tablespoon plain yogurt
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 fresh green chili, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and ground black pepper
Tzatziki sauce, lettuce or spinach, red onions, tomato
buns or pita bread

*************
Put the beef into a large bowl, add all the remaining ingredients (except bubs or pita) and mix well with your hands.

Roll into four large balls and flatten into patties 1/2–3/4″ thick. Refrigerate, separated by wax paper or plastic wrap, until the grill is ready.

Grill indoors or out over medium heat, 5–7 minutes on each side, or until the burgers are done to your liking.

Serve on a bun with tzatziki sauce and vegetables.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://goodfoodcorner.blogspot.com. Content must be credited to this author.