Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake


Last week, I had the pleasure of seeing some of my former college roommates! My immediate roommate was visiting from Turkey -- she's lived there for 5 years -- so it was cause for a special dessert to accompany our conversation.


I found this recipe on a Betty Crocker calendar that I have hanging in my office.

Hello.
My name is SnoWhite and I'm addicted to cooking.


The original recipe added frosting to the top of this cake -- and I can't imagine actually serving it with frosting. It would have completely detracted from the cake itself.

In addition, the recipe called for more sugar than I used -- more butter and oil in place of the applesauce in the cake.  Since I naturally bake with applesauce rather than oil, I tried applesauce in this recipe, and it was perfect.


If you're looking for an easy fall dessert that is sure to impress -- try this one!  

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake - Adapted from Betty Crocker
{Print Recipe}

1/4 C butter
1/8 C whipping cream
1/2 C packed brown sugar
4 medium apples, peeled and sliced
1 white/yellow cake mix
1 1/4 C water
1/3 C applesauce
2 eggs
1/4 tsp, cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Begin by melting the butter in a large saucepan.  While butter melts, add in the whipping cream and brown sugar.  Heat until butter is completely melted.


Meanwhile, peel 4 medium apples and cut them into slices.  I would cut them into quarters and then in thin slices.  I tried doing circles/half circles of apples, but it was hard to cut through the larger pieces when the cake was served.

Then, mix up the cake mix, water, applesauce, eggs and spices together until well blended.



Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 glass baking dish.


Then, carefully layer the apples over the top of the caramel sauce.


Gently spoon the cake mix over the top of the apples and caramel sauce.


Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.


Cool the dessert in the pan for 10 minutes.  Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan with a spatula.

Then, place a large serving tray, or cookie sheet over the top of the pan.

Invert the pan onto the serving tray and allow the pan to sit for 1 minute so that the caramel can drizzle over the cake.  Remove the glass baking dish after 1 minute or so.


Serve warm and enjoy!


Photobucket

This recipe is linked to: