Brown Rice Casserole


A few weeks ago, my colleague warmed up the most amazing smelling lunch - ever.


She explained to me how much they she and her family like the dish, and told me it contained three simple ingredients:  brown rice, smoked sausage and chicken broth.

Sounds easy enough.

So, earlier this week when we were in need of some comfort food, I tried my hand at our version of Brown Rice Casserole Hotdish.


It was a success.

Brown Rice Hotdish - Adapted from my colleague

1/2 of a ring of smoked sausage (kielbasa), sliced
1 T minced onion
3/4 C brown rice (I used minute brown rice)
3/4 C chicken broth
1/2 C hot water
splash of lemon juice
1/4 C Parmesan cheese

Place sliced sausage in a frying pan and brown for 5-6 minutes.



When nicely browned, add in minced onion and brown rice, toss to coat the rice in the oil in the pan.


Add in 1/2 C hot water and stir to coat.


Pour the whole dish into a greased 2 qt dish, or an 8x8 glass baking dish.  Add in the chicken broth.


Cover, and cook at 375 for 30-40 minutes (If you use minute brown rice, cook for 20 minutes) or until rice is done and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Then, uncover and add a sprinkle of lemon juice and Parmesan cheese.


Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted.


Serve warm and enjoy!

I have no idea if this is even remotely close to her amazing brown rice casserole, but, it will make a repeat appearance on our menu!  Since the original posting, we've added 1 C fresh spinach before baking -- wow, we love that too.


Linked to: Ingredient Spotlight.