Sweet Potato Risotto


A few weeks back I saw a yummy risotto recipe on Lynn's blog -- and since it had sweet potatoes, I was hooked.



Plus my mom had just given me a bag of risotto!  She said it had been in her pantry for a couple years, but rice stays good for a long time, so it should be fine.



When I went to open the bag (after I had already started making dinner), I thought, maybe I should check the expiration date.

I'm sorry to say, mom, but your rice had been in the pantry for more than 7 years!

Needless to say, I didn't feel overly comfortable using it in our dinner.

So, I proceeded and used minute rice in place of the risotto.  The result, I imagine, was not nearly as creamy as risotto, but it was still delicious.  A food fail turned positive :)



Sweet Potato Risotto - Adapted from Lynn's Kitchen Adventure

1/4 C onion, diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 lb. Italian turkey sausage
3/4 C Arborio rice (uncooked)
1 1/2 C - 2 C hot water
3/4 C chicken broth
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 C Parmesan, shredded

Dice up the sweet potato.



Cook sausage and onion in an oven-proof dish until sausage is browned and done.



Add in sweet potato pieces and cook about a minute.



Then, add in the rice, stirring to coat the rice with the oils in the pan.



Stir in 1/2 C hot water, chicken broth, salt and pepper seasoning.



Bring to a boil.

Then, cover and transfer the dish to an oven, preheated to 425 degrees.

Bake about 20-25 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed by the rice.

Stir in 1/4 - 1/2 C water until the consistency is creamy.  Top with cheese.



We paired it with a delicious lemony-roasted asparagus, and it was a great meal!



This post is linked to: