Carrot Zucchini Pancakes


The other day, I was craving one of my all-time favorite dessert recipes... whole wheat carrot zucchini cake!  But, seeing as I already had some ice cream cake in the freezer from my birthday, I decided it was not the best thing for my waistline to make this cake.

Instead, I decided to make my favorite recipe into a pancake!  And, rather than top it with cream cheese frosting (oh, I was tempted).... I sauteed some apples with cinnamon and a touch of butter.  YUM.



I think I have found my new favorite pancake.

And, I love that it has two veggies (carrots and zucchini), applesauce, and is made with 100% whole wheat flour.



And, when you top it with apples, this breakfast is a wonderful way to get extra fruits and veggies into your day!

Whole Wheat Carrot Zucchini Pancakes - SnoWhite

1 1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 C brown sugar (or honey)
1 C buttermilk (or milk + vinegar)*
1 T applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
~1 C grated zucchini
~1 C carrot puree or grated carrots

Measure the milk into a liquid measuring cup.  Add in about 1 T vinegar, if you are making your own buttermilk.  Then, allow that to sit while you measure the dry ingredients.



In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and spices.



Returning to the buttermilk, add the brown sugar, applesauce, vanilla and egg to the measuring cup and stir well.  By adding it directly to the measuring cup you eliminate dirtying another bowl :)

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones until moist.

Then, add in the carrots and zucchini.



I keep frozen cooked carrot in the freezer - so for this recipe, I just warmed up 3 "ice cubes" of grated/cooked carrots.

Stir... and if the mixture seems overly thick, add in a little more milk.  The whole wheat flour tends to need more liquid -- I ended up adding about 1/8-1/4 C more milk.



Heat your griddle, and then use a soup ladle to scoop out the pancakes and spread them into a flat circle.



Cook until little bubbles form, and then flip, cooking until brown.



Top with apples, and savor every bite.





This post is linked to: