Avena Oat Smoothie

While I do love smoothies, I'm not in the habit of having one for breakfast or even for a snack.  But, I decided to try a new smoothie this week for the Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge because it uses -- oddly enough -- my favorite ingredients.  Oats and cinnamon.



Have I told you how much I love oats?  And cinnamon?  Oh, and vanilla.

Yes.  I do.

I should go to therapy.  Really.

I have 30 (now 31) recipes on here that use oats.

And, I am almost to the point where I eat oats daily.

Maybe I'm a horse?  I hear they like oats too.

Anyway, with my love for oats, I decided I give Ingrid Hoffman's Old-Fashioned Avena Oatmeal Smoothie a try.

I have to admit -- it took me a long time to try this.  It could have gone either way... really tasty, or really awful.  My first thought was -- how can this be good?!  But, I read the comments people left on her recipe, and was inclined to try.

Old-Fashioned Avena Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie - From Ingrid Hoffman

1/2 C Old-Fashioned Oats
3 C milk
2 T brown sugar (or honey)
1-2 tsp. cinnamon (to taste)
1 tsp. vanilla

Begin the night before by cooking the oats and the milk in a saucepan for 10-15 minutes -- stir continuously.  The oatmeal will be really thick.




Remove from the burner and add the cinnamon and honey, to taste.



Allow the oatmeal mixture to cool for a bit.  Transfer to a container to refrigerate overnight.



Strain the liquid from the oatmeal.



Hmmmm....



How exactly does one do that?

Mine, certainly did not strain.

I ended up blending mine in a blender with a little more milk, and some vanilla.





Now, that looks more like it.



I tried drinking it cold... but no such luck.  Maybe with blueberries or raspberries it would be better cold.

I ended up warming it up, and it was okay.



It certainly did not ruin my love for oatmeal, but, this is one oatmeal dish I will pass on making again.

I did enjoy it really thick and warm on the first night -- like a cinnamon-y pudding.

And, I used the leftovers in my favorite oatmeal waffles... so all was not lost.

Have you ever heard of such a smoothie before?