Ranchero Chicken Crostada

After a 20-inch snowstorm canceled the last few days of school right before Christmas and extended our winter break to a full two weeks, we had a wonderful holiday season filled with sledding, food, family, and far too little sleep.  Now after three days of trying to reestablish our routine again, I wonder if I'll ever get my groove back!   I did make lots of old favorite meals, in addition to several new recipes over the break, but it looks like it's going to be a slow process getting back to my blogging again.   The gigantic pile of laundry awaiting to be folded is calling my name just a little too loudly these days, but I thought I'd sacrifice my housework for a few minutes and type up this recipe just for you.  Yeah, yeah.  I know I'm such a martyr serving my adoring fans like this.  °Ü°
The one thing I love about church cookbooks is having familiar names to go with the recipes.  After just a couple of weeks with the cookbook, I'd already picked out my cooking soul-mates, knowing that if it's their recipe then we're sure to like it.  This is one of those I tried just because I loved everything else I made of hers and sure enough it was delicious too!   It was fresh-tasting and flavorful and my kids especially adored the ranch flavor and the whole pie crust part of it.   We'll definitely try this one again. 
Boy I have to say blogging is way more fun than laundry!  
     


Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
1 roll Pillsbury pie crust, thawed
2 cups shredded chicken
1 can (10-oz.) mild Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. ranch dressing powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 cup shredded cheese
1 can (15.5-oz.) black beans, drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
lettuce, chopped
ranch dressing


Directions:   Roll crust onto Pam-treated baking sheet.  In large mixing bowl, mix chicken, Ro-Tel, cilantro, ranch powder, cumin, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, black beans, and red pepper.  

Spread chicken mixture onto pie dough leaving a 1-2-inch border around the edges.  Fold this border up over chicken to make a deep-dish pizza-like crust, forming pleats every 2 inches or so.
   Brush olive oil on crust.  Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes.  Top with chopped Romaine lettuce and drizzle with ranch dressing.  Enjoy!