Homefries

Our chef of the week is Anne Burrell. Anne had a great looking recipe for Fingerling Homefries on the Food Network that I decided I would try out. The only problem was, I wasn't able to find Fingerling potatoes. So, I improvised. While these potatoes were tasty, I bet they would have been even better with a smaller potato.

Photobucket


Homefries - Adapted from Anne Burrell

4 potatoes (Anne recommend 1 lb. fingerling potatoes)
salt, to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
pinch, red pepper
1 tsp. parsley

Bring potatoes to a boil. Be sure to salt the potatoes well. Cook until tender when poked with a fork. Then, drain potatoes.

Meanwhile, heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and red pepper flakes. Saute until onions are translucent.

Then, add the potatoes to the mix.



Flatten with a spatula, and allow the potatoes to cook and get crispy. Season with salt and pepper.



Flip over and repeat the process until potatoes are crunchy. Then season with parsley and additional salt and pepper.



Serve warm.




The verdict:
These were just okay. Only a 3/5 star rating by us. The potatoes were tender and had good flavor, but they didn't get super crispy. I have a feeling they would have gotten crispier with a lot more oil, but that's just not something that's overly appealing to us. It's a different way to have potatoes, and I bet with the fingerling potatoes they'd be better.

Check out what others made by Anne this week at I Blame My Mother, host of the Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge.