Chicken Mango Rice Salad

I made this recipe a few years back after discovering it in an old family cookbook, but then somehow that page fell out of my book and got forgotten. Then last week I rediscovered it while visiting my parents and got excited to try it again. I had vaguely remembered enjoying it all those years ago, but to my family it seemed like a brand new dish. I was encouraged when the kids kept peering over my shoulder while I made it and commented about how much they loved mango and how good it smelled, but when my super picky teenage son took the first bite and started raving about how much he loved it I knew we had stumbled across a winner! Never mind that it's a healthy dish, I just loved that the rice and chicken were perfectly seasoned and oh so moist and tasty. We'll never let this one slip away again!

For a printable recipe click HERE!

The ingredients:
1-1/2 cups rice (before cooking)
3 cups water
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 avocado, peeled and diced (we usually use two avocados)
1 mango, peeled and diced (we usually use two mangoes)
3/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1-1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
3-1/2 Tbs. lime juice (~the juice of 2 limes)
1/3 cup olive oil

Cook rice as directed on package.  Set aside.

Add cooled, diced chicken breasts (I sauteed mine with olive oil over medium heat) to rice, then add in the mango, avocado, and chopped cilantro. Toss together, then in a separate bowl combine lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper then pour over chicken/rice/fruit mixture. Stir just until combined. Serve cold or at room temperature. Serves 8.

Enjoy!