Cherry Muffins



My friend Lucy has an awesome cooking blog...she's given me many excellent recipes (including her fabulous chili) and we both share a love for cherries! So, when she posted a recipe for delicious-looking cherry muffins I knew I had to try them!

Cherry (Dark Chocolate) Muffins - Modified from Lucy at Lucy's Kitchen

Muffins:
1/8 C butter, melted
1/8 C applesauce
1 C milk
1 egg white
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1 C sweet cherries, pitted and cut into eighths
1/8 C dark chocolate chips
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Topping
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar


Preheat the oven to 400. Then, pit and chop the cherries!


Combine butter, applesauce, milk and egg in a large bowl and mix well.


Mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.


Add cherries to the flour mix and stir to coat.



Then, combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring until just moist.



Prepare your muffin tins -- I tried my new silicone liners!!


I filled half of the muffins with just cherries, then added chocolate chips to the other half of the batter and made the remaining half with chocolate chips. I ended up having enough batter to make 12 muffins + one large 2 C glass-container muffin :)



Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.


Sprinkle over the top of the muffins.


(see my large extra muffin?!)

Bake at 400 for about 18 minutes until muffins are done (translation, toothpick comes out clean).


In addition to these muffins being phenomenal... the muffins "papers" were great! They were easy to get the muffins out, and if you pop them out right away, you get a crispy muffin bottom just like the top!!


Yum. Try 'em. You'll love 'em.


This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!