Goat Cheese & Potato Pizza


I have added a feature to my blog called "Pizza of the Week". I originally thought I would produce a different pizza every Sunday, but this may be a little ambitious on my part. So whenever I have the urge I will be showering you with my pizza ideas.

I LOVE pizza, as do many of you, but can easily get the regular Garden, Pepperoni and Hawaiian at our local but exceptional pizzeria.

I have been intrigued by pizza with potato lately so thought I would offer you this weeks suggestion of potato, rosemary and goats cheese. This is a hearty pizza, the double carb hit of dough and potato works really well. I absolutely loved this combination. Could it be because I am really just a Potato HO at heart.

My inner Ho always thinks of the Potato Ho-Down Wednesday event whenever I prepare potatoes. Bellini Vallium and the rest of the Ho's are back!!!!!! This event is held the third Wednesday of every month. Two of our talented fellow potato Ho's Cathy of Noble Pig and Krysta over at Evil Chef Mom are our illustrious founders. Every Wednesday we will all be posting those scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, fries, curries, poutine......if potato is in the name I will be definitely be there!!!!!!!!

I got in touch with my inner Ho and slapped out this pizza recipe. The potatoes are sliced very thinly on a mandolin and soaked in a cold water bath for about an hour to remove some of the starch that could make the potatoes gooey. Now I know that cheesy and gooey are words used to describe pizza, but believe me you don't want your potatoes to have that adjective. Another alternative would be to arrange them in a circular pattern on a baking sheet and bake at 400F for about 5 - 10 minutes. They will cook more on top of the pizza once they are placed there. If your potatoes are sliced very thinly with the mandolin this step is not necessary.

Next week I continue my potato pizza experimentation with a different variation. This dish was inspired by a recipe over at BBC.

What pizza combinations would you try?

**Goat Cheese & Potato Pizza**

3 - 4 small waxy potatoes, thinly sliced (skin on if you like)
1 T olive oil, plus more for drizzling

1 garlic clove , crushed
2 sprigs rosemary needles, chopped

your favourite pizza dough
150-200g goat's cheese log, sliced
half a red onion , thinly sliced


*****************************
Heat the oven 400 F.

Slice the potatoes very thinly using a mandolin. Soak them in very cold water for about 1 hour to remove some of the starch). They are almost the thickness of a potato chip so that they will bake quickly on top of the pizza. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the garlic and rosemary.

Roll the pizza dough into a pizza round or rectangle to fit a lightly oiled non-stick baking sheet. Arrange potato slices decoratively leaving a small border for a pizza crust. Scatter the goat's cheese and onion over the top and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Leave your creation for 10 minutes for the dough to rise up a little , then bake for about 10-15 minutes until the base is crisp and golden and cooked through.