Criss Cross Potatoes - A Blast from the Past


When I was in my late teens I left home and moved to a very small town outside of my hometown. As with any young woman I loved living on my own. In those days I even enjoyed my nemesis housecleaning and loved to iron and do the dishes. How naive is that!!! My mom never really taught her little birds how to cook so I remember inviting my sister and her boyfriend of the day for dinner. I served up storebought meat pies, canned carrots and yes...canned potatoes. I also remember saying how delicious it was. Well....."you've come a long way baby" as the saying goes!!!!

I can cook every day meals with the best of them and am still continually trying new things. There are some things however that just scream comfort and even give me a glimpse back to less stressful and carefree times. One such recipe, if it can be called that, is outlined here. The best thing about these potatoes is that they can be cooked up in half the time as a regular baked potato. The reason for soaking them is on the same principal as radish roses so that they will fan out and it brings the lowly potato out of the closet and into "elegant".

This is not much of a recipe but it is fun! The third Wednesday of every month has been designated Potato Ho-Down Wednesday....this does not mean that I am limited to eating potatoes only on Wednesdays either!!!! The Ho's are back!!!!! Two of our talented fellow potato Ho's Cathy of Noble Pig and Krysta over at Evil Chef Mom are our illustrious founders. Every Wednesday we will all be posting those scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, fries, curries, poutine......if potato is in the name I will be definitely be there in 2009 too!!!!!!!!

I got in touch with my inner Ho and slapped out this recipe. I am sending this easy peasy recipe over to them!!! Just as the Phoenix rose out of the ashes Bellini Vallium rises again!!!

**Criss Cross Potatoes**

4 medium baking potatoes
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
********************
Peel and cut each potato crosswise at 1/4" intervals to within 1/2" of the bottom of potato.
Cut lengthwise (in the opposite direction) in the same manner, creating the crisscross pattern.
Be sure not to cut all the way to the bottom.

Place potatoes in ice water for 30 minutes. Dry potatoes and place in a baking pan. Brush with melted butter. Mix spices together and sprinkle on top of potatoes.

Bake at 400°, turning and basting every 15 minutes for 45 minutes or until tender.


Criss-Cross Potatoes1 large Baking Potato1 tbsp Butter, meltedSaltPaprikaScrub potato; cut in half lengthwise. Make diagonal slashes, about 1/8inchdeep in cut surface of potato forming crisscross pattern. Brush cutsurfaceswith butter; season with salt. Place in small shallow pan or on a piece offoil. Bake in hot oven (400) for 40 minutes. Sprinkle potato with paprika.Bake 10 minutes more or till done.