Chicken Caprese Sandwich for Taste & Create

Can you feel the warm breeze.... the scent of the ocean? I am sitting on a secluded beach on the west coast of Zakynthos, the third largest of the Ionian Islands with dramatic vistas. Steep cliffs plummet down to the pristine white sand beach. Can you hear the call of the sea birds? Now .....never mind that my warm breeze is actually the heat coming from the secondary heater in the living room to ward off the chill or the heat from the stove top as I brew yet another pot of warming tea. Now don't break my bubble. Shhhh!!!!I prefer to believe that I am sitting on this secluded beach in Greece........close my eyes.

For those of you who frequent my blog you know that I never miss the Taste & Create event which gets bigger and bigger each and every time. It is the brainchild of Nicole over at For the Love of Food . I love to visit her site for all the delicious recipes and tidbits of very helpful information. She even has an on-line store with wonderful kitchen gadgets and gourmet foods.

For the event this month I have been paired with our founder herself Nicole of For the Love of Food . It was very hard to choose just one recipe to prepare with dishes like Cuban Pastelitos de Carne , Homemade Chicken Tikal with Black Bean Puree , Indian Burgers and Roasted Tomato Pesto on Pasta . With this cold snap, and the temperatures dipping well below freezing, I felt the need to drift away to sunnier climates. Living in a Canadian winter I usually barbecue all year round but today it was too cold even for me, so, I opted for the use of my grill pan. This Chicken Caprese Sandwich enabled me to drift away to the Ionian Islands. I have had this recipe bookmarked for some time so it was perfect to attempt today. I also decided to marinate the fresh mozzarella slices as well as the tomatoes to top the sandwich.

Now let me get back to the beach.......................... better yet you better join me...............

**Chicken Caprese Sandwich**

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1- 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T thyme leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Twelve 1/2-inch-thick chicken breast cutlets (2 1/2 pounds)
6 ciabatta rolls, split
Six 1/3-inch-thick slices of fresh mozzarella
6 large basil leaves (optional)

*******************
In a large bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the olive oil with the lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Spoon 1- 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture into a medium bowl, add the tomatoes and turn to coat. Add the chicken to the large bowl and turn to coat. Let the tomatoes and chicken stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Light a grill. Brush the rolls with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and grill over high heat until golden. Add the chicken to the grill, season with salt and pepper and grill over high heat, turning once, until cooked through and lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Place the chicken on the rolls and top with the mozzarella, tomato and basil. Spoon any tomato juices on the top half of the bun, close the sandwiches and serve.