Salsa Meatloaf

Am I starting on my New Year resolutions early or am I breaking out all the stops and getting ready for the calorie laden Christmas holidays where NOTHING...I say NOTHING will be off limits!!! Whatever the reason I was craving meatloaf but wanted a lighter but still flavourful rendition.

"Nothing says comfort food more than a piping hot slice of meat loaf served with mashed potatoes and gravy. Of course, the fat in a slice of meat loaf alone amounts to about 17 grams... even when you use lean ground beef. To lighten your standard recipe use extra-lean ground beef, rolled oats and vegetables (which increases the fibre) PLUS use a salsa topping instead of the usual high-sugar ketchup or chili sauce. Cooking the loaf free form on a baking sheet drains away the fat, which results in only 206 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving."

I served my meatloaf with some steamed sugar snap peas and some "smashed" potatoes that get their flavour factor from the onions and herbs.... minus the gravy...but look at all that BUTTER!!!!


Before I move on to the recipe I would like to thank my blogsister Ivy of Kopiaste for passing on the Great Buddy Award to me and to Bunny of Bunny's Warm Oven for passing on the Inspiration Award as well. I love to receive these awards but it means that much more to me coming from good friends. It is always so difficult to choose even a few of my fellow bloggers and friends as recipients for these awards. There are just so many of you that are deserving of all the accolades, awards and good wishes that come your way. I would like to pass these awards on to all my friends but especially to my friend "Schmirly" over at Schmirly Whirly. She is a brand new blogger and is so deserving of both of these awards. We have been friends for years!!!! Go on over and visit her if you can and give her all your encouragement!!! That is what our great blogging community is all about!!!!
Now on to the recipe........


**Salsa Meatloaf**

2 egg whites
1 cup (250 mL) large-flake rolled oats
1 onion, grated
1 cup (250 mL) grated zucchini
3/4 cup (175 mL) grated carrot
1/4 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot...your choice)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1-1/2 lb (750 g) extra-lean ground beef
1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa for top

*****************
In bowl, whisk egg whites lightly; stir in oats, onion, zucchini, carrot, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, 1/4 cup salsa and pepper. Mix in beef.

Place on greased rimmed baking sheet; form into 13-inch (33 cm) long by 2-inch (5 cm) high oval loaf. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until browned, about 40 minutes.

Spread salsa over top; bake approximately another 20 minutes until meat thermometer registers 170°F (77°C).

Serves 8