Potato Ho Scottish "Tattie" Scones & British Food Fortnight

Perhaps I am feeling a little nostalgic
today with memories of Britain and my childhood. My mom and dad and youngest brother Sean left for the Lake District in England this morning for a month of hiking and walking (and in my brothers case mountain biking). Keswick to be exact. My parents are 80....that says it all.

Here is another way for me to feel nostalgic!!!!!!Antonia from Food Glorious Food is organising a wonderful food event running from the 20th September until the 5th October for British Food Fortnight which is a celebration of the fantastically diverse range of foods produced in Britain. This event, now in its seventh year is a celebration. It is also the largest volunteer movement educating children about food. I am entering these "tattie" scones into this event. I see it as a way to advertise my British roots and love for some of the more traditional dishes I grew up on. I had beans on toast every Friday night of my life as a child. Britain has a wealth of wonderful national dishes!!!!! Check out the event and see for yourself!!!

In the late 50's my parents moved to Canada like many a Brit. They settled in southern Ontario where the rolling hills and dales reminded them of Lincolnshire, England. Perhaps it was closer to home because they had always intended on going back "home" someday. The Cambridge area, or Galt, Preston and Hespeler as it was called then (before amalgamation) was highly influenced by Scottish settlers and many of the buildings in the downtown core were built by stonemasons of that era.

We used to go to Reid's Candy Shop which at that time was on Main Street in Galt and get barley sugar lollipops and rock candy all reminiscent for my parents of days spent at the "seaside" and their own childhoods in England. Reid's Candy Shop is still there but on on one of the side streets instead. There used to be a fishmongers along the same side street where I would plug my little child nose and brave the aroma of not so fresh fish....right next to Clark Shoes. These were the days before malls when people still frequented the downtown core. Now it is near a wonderful little hole -in -the- wall Mexican restaurant where they have hasa farina, con queso cheese and serve sopas and here I am 3,000 kilometers away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up until a few years ago there was a Marks and Spencers in downtown "Galt". When I moved to Calgary I frequented the Marks & Spencers downtown mostly to pick up some potato scones.

M & S followed me to Oshawa as well as here too. They would bring my "tattie" scones in fresh maybe once a month. They were not always available so it was a real treat for me when I came across them. Sad for me, but, when Marks & Spencers shut down altogether they were not available at all!! There is a bakery in the "Preston" area of Cambridge that makes them so when I was there at Christmas I preordered 12 dozen to carry home in my suitcase. I wonder if they opened my suitcase at the airport? I can hear them saying, "Is this woman crazy" or more than likely "What are these?" Not everyone has heard of a "tattie" or potato scone. We grew up on them so they are an every day treat for us. There is no where to buy them here in the West that I can find so I am reduced to making my own....not such a bad idea really!!!! There is something about the ready made ones though that I really like...perhaps it's just the fact that you can pop them in the toaster for convenience sake.

The third Wednesday of every month has been designated Potato Ho-Down Wednesday....this does not mean that I am limited to eating potatoes only on Wednesdays by any means!!!! Two of our talented fellow potato Ho's Cathy of Noble Pig and Krysta over at Evil Chef Mom are our illustrious founders. This months Potato Ho Down is hosted by Hillary of E Chew on That. Every event we will all be posting those scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, fries, curries, poutine......if potato is in the name I will be definitely be there!!! I have seen many bloggers enter their dishes in more than one event at a time. I have not done this in the past but wanted to support each of these great events equally. I am Bellini Valium and I am a Potato Ho........... with British roots.


**Scottish 'Tattie" Scones**
2 cups mashed potatoes
1-1/2 cups flour (more if necessary)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 T melted butter

********************
Mash potatoes well, beat in butter with a fork. Sift dry ingredients and add to mashed potatoes.Turn out on slightly floured board and knead with hands and form into a soft ball. Cut in half, roll out until 1/4-inch thin. Cut into 8 wedges.With melted butter, bake on hot griddle, 3 minutes per side.Serve warm with melted butter or toast at a later date to rewarm. They will turn puffy when toasted.....pure heaven.

They are one of my faves for breakfast or snacking at any time for that matter!!!