Two New Food Discoveries Pour Moi.....

With all the heavy foods and over-abundance of sweets this holiday season I sure was craving something fresh tasting and good for you. My daughter the "live-in but temporary chef" suggested a Caprese Salad.

Now this is the simplest recipe known to man (or woman). I don't know if there is even a recipe needed.

What was the new discovery???? Buffalo mozzarella!!!!!! I am sure all you foodies out there have had the privelege of having this delicate cheese. I am quite sure I have also had it before, but in the Caprese salad it was more than exceptional!! It was the texture that had me standing on my head and drooling. Even if this is the simplest recipe out there the cheese as well as the ripeness of the tomatoes can make or break this salad.

What was the second discovery this holiday season ??? Oka cheese!!!!! Very soft and luxurious cheese. Read about that in an earlier post on Cheese Fondue.

Do I have any New Year's resolutions? No...I never make any promises I can't keep. I will just keep striving to do my best and keep my head above water in 2008. If I had any resolutions at all looking at this photo it would be to eat more Caprese Salad and buffalo mozzarella.


**Caprese Salad**


3 vine-ripened tomatoes, 1/4-inch thick
1 lb buffalo mozzarella, 1/2-inch thick
handful basil leaves, chiffonade
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinegar
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

***********

Arrange tomatoes and mozzarella on platter. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with basil chiffonade, salt and pepper.

Serves 4

Buon Appetito!!