Nacho Potatoes


Here it is the middle of another week. Where does the time go?? When I was young I always looked to the future. I can hear myself commenting about when I would be 13 this would happen and when I was 15 or 18 I could do this. I heard those same words from my daughters lips as well. When you're young you are not living for the day because you always want to be older than you are. Being older gives you priveledges that you think you don't have at the time. Now that I am "older" (older is a relative term..wink...wink...) I try and live more in the moment. If I won the lottery that would be more relevant to the way I want to live my life. Still I hear the words escaping my lips... when I save the money I will do this and do that. Seize the day as they say!

In a pinch these Nacho Potatoes are something I like to put together as a side dish for any weeknight dinner. Cooking can't always be about gourmet offerings and show stopping desserts. We have to live day to day and during the week simple and quick is the best! I have to get out there and enjoy my life with family and friends after all... don't I??

**Nacho Potatoes**

5 large potatoes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup water
2 T butter, melted
1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
vegetable oil
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Garnish: sour cream and guacamole

Heat the oven to 350F. Scrub potatoes and slice. You can leave the peel on or not, whichever you prefer. Arrange in a shallow greased baking dish, season with salt and pepper. Pour water and butter over the potatoes. Cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.

In a small skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and peppers in a small amount of oil. Add vegetables to potatoes. Sprinkle with the cheeses. Return to the oven and bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender.

Garnish with sour cream and guacamole.

Serves 4