Gingerbread Muffins


Gingerbread gets me excited about Christmas... and I thought it was maybe a little early to break out the gingerbread when I put these on last week's menu.


Little did I know when I made these muffins that we'd be enjoying a winter wonderland just 48 hours later.


I concluded it's never too early for gingerbread.  Just like Christmas music.


Although I try to wait until after Thanksgiving to send Christmas tunes through our house... that is not the case with gingerbread!


The earlier the better.  Right?

Gingerbread Muffins - Finding Joy in My Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

2 C white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1/4 C applesauce
1/2 C molasses
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C buttermilk

Begin by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl.


Then, using a second bowl, mix the brown sugar, applesauce, molasses, egg, vanilla and buttermilk together.  Stir until the ingredients are well mixed.


Pour the wet and dry ingredients together to form a nice batter.



Fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way full, and then bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.


Makes about 12 muffins, or 6 jumbo muffins.


Photobucket

This post is linked to: