Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars


Sometimes I just enjoy a really good oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

Do you?

I love the combination of oats and chocolate... but sometimes I'm lazy.  So, I decided to try my favorite cookie recipe as a bar just because I didn't feel like scooping out all those cookies.


I ended up loving them as a bar, and still had enough dough left over to freeze 10 cookies for later.


The best of both worlds. If you ask me.



Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars - Adapted from Mom {and Quaker Oats}
{Print Recipe}

3/4 C butter
1 C brown sugar {I use just under 1 C}
1/2 C sugar {I use just under 1/2 C}
1 egg
1/4 C water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C white wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 C Old Fashioned Oats
1 C Dark Chocolate Chips

Begin by creaming together the butter and sugar. Then add in the egg, water and vanilla.


Stir the flour, salt and baking soda together. Add these to the moist ingredients until blended.

Then, add the best part... the oats.


:)


Stir until oats are combined.


Next, add in the dark chocolate chips.


Have I mentioned before that I love dark chocolate?

You should see my chocolate drawer.


Pour the majority of the dough into a lightly greased 9x13 glass baking dish.

To smooth out the dough, you'll need to spray your spatula (or hand) with cooking oil otherwise the dough will stick.


Scoop the rest of the dough into cookies, if you'd like, and flash freeze on the cookie sheet for 10-20 minutes. Then, store in an airtight bag or freezer-safe container. These make a perfect after school treat :)

Bake at 350 for 30ish minutes, or until edges begin to brown and the center is set.


Slice and serve.


If you wish to bake them all as cookies, this recipe yields about 5 dozen cookies. Bake a tray of them at 350 for 12-14 minutes until the edges are set and slightly browned.

Enjoy!


Photobucket