Zucchini "Pizza"


This past weekend, one of my dear friends and her husband came for a visit! My friend was just diagnosed with celiac and I asked her if she'd be willing to let me cook for her. I know how challenging it can be to allow someone to cook for you when you have food allergies, so I made sure to tell her that I wouldn't feel offended if she wanted to bring her own food and cook.




She decided she'd allow me to cook... so I sent her a few recipes to look over before she came. We concluded that the zucchini pizza should be a tasty way to go.  I reduced the cheese, used brown rice and switched to ground turkey, all in an effort to make this dish even healthier.


Thanks, Lynn, for this awesome gluten-free recipe! We all enjoyed it very much.

Zucchini "Pizza" - Adapted from Lynn's Kitchen Adventure
{Print Recipe}

"Crust"
4 C shredded zucchini
2 C cooked brown rice
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs


Filling
1 lb. ground turkey
1 1/2 C spaghetti sauce
1 tsp. oregano*
1/2 tsp. salt*

Topping
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

*You may not need to add these spices if your spaghetti sauce already has them!

Shred the cheese and zucchini.


In a medium bowl, mix together the cooked rice, shredded zucchini, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.


Add in the eggs and mix well.


Press into a 9x13 glass baking dish.


Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until the crust is lightly browned.


Meanwhile, brown the ground turkey; drain.


Stir in the tomato sauce.


Simmer for about 5 minutes, until warmed through.

Then, spread the spaghetti sauce mixture over the crust.


Top with shredded cheese.


Continue baking at 400 for 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and brown.


Enjoy!


Photobucket



This recipe is linked to: