Spanish Tortilla

Well... I totally botched this week's Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge. Brian Boitano (yes, the figure skater) had a yummy-sounding recipe called a "Spanish" tortilla because it has typical Spanish ingredients of serrano ham and manchego cheese. Of course, I had neither of these on hand.



And, I had no idea what these two ingredients were.... other than ham and cheese.  Apparently, serrano is a thinly sliced ham (looks kind of like bacon) that is often served raw...... And, manchego is a cheese that gets really creamy, but is likened to feta. Hmmm.

When I read the recipe, I read: ham and cheese. Yum. Of course, I didn't have any ham... so I left it out all together. Having tasted it... ham or Italian sausage would be tasty in this dish.

Thus, my "Spanish" Tortilla is really not Spanish at all, and I don't even know if it still qualifies as Brian Boitano's recipe, but it was a good breakfast.



"Spanish" Tortilla - Adapted from Brian Boitano

1 T olive oil
1 medium potato, grated
1 medium red pepper, diced (I used yellow)
1 small yellow onion, diced
1/4 C diced serrano ham (I omitted)
4 eggs
1/4 C grated manchego cheese (I used Colby Jack)
salt and pepper, to taste
parsley, to taste

Heat olive oil in a 8-inch skillet over medium heat. Saute the grated potato and chopped onion with salt and pepper until tender (~5 minutes).



Add in the pepper (and ham) and saute until cooked through (~5 minutes).



Then, lightly scramble the eggs. Add in the cheese, and pour into the skillet.



Reduce heat to medium, cover and allow to cook for ~5 minutes, until the egg begins to thicken.





Then, you can choose to stick the dish in a pre-heated oven (375 degrees), and cook until the egg is puffy and lightly browned.



Mine didn't puff too well, but it worked out okay.



Slide onto a serving plate and serve warm with OJ.




Photobucket
click the image for more!