Cheese Tortellini with Corn-Scallion Sauce

Each Wednesday our local newspaper, the Washington Post, publishes a section totally devoted to one of my favorite subjects...FOOD! It reviews restaurants, spotlights local chefs, compares different brands of food, and of course has lots of recipes. While I enjoy reading this section, most of the time the recipes are just not my style so I just skim right over them. A couple of weeks ago though most of the recipes featured corn as the main ingredient and I ended up cutting out half of the section excited for all the new recipes I could try. I started off by making the corn broth which was the base for most of the recipes and while I did like the corny (hehe!) flavor it provided, I think it would've been just as good with plain vegetable broth.

This recipe was one that caught my eye right away for its kid appeal. It turned out a little more liquidy than I expected (based on their pictures), but the flavor on this vegetarian dish was great and as expected the kids loved the noodle and corn combination.



The ingredients:
Click here for Printable Recipe

4 tsp. butter
4 tsp. olive oil
8 scallions, white and light green parts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cans (15-1/4-oz. each) whole kernel corn
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup corn broth ( click for link or just use vegetable broth)
1 package (19-oz.) frozen cheese tortellini
Salt, pepper to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Combine the butter and oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter has begun to foam, add the scallions and corn; cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes, until the color of the corn becomes more intense.

Add the buttermilk and corn broth (or vegetable broth); bring to a boil, then add the tortellini and toss to combine. Cover and reduce the heat to medium; cook for about 4 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from the heat.

Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Transfer to a wide shallow bowl and sprinkle the cheese on top, if desired. Makes 4 servings.

Enjoy!