Moosewood Feta Garlic Salad Dressing

It seems to be a habit to wake up early on a Saturday morning and head to the local farmers market where Spring is around every corner with asparagus, fiddleheads, spring onions and mesclun. All of these found their way into my "environmentally safe" cloth bag... along with a dozen perogies:D Besides the local farmers and producers the market is a plethora of artisans and bakers. I have my eye on some bar stools make from local wine barrels, or the watercolour artist with scenes of the Okanagan. I can get a quick fix of hummus too from the Bean Boy, or local cheeses and grass fed beef.

I always arrive around 8 when the market first opens. Is that me rushing across the lawn to be the first in line for a taste of Spring? My eyes sparkle with anticipation to see what may be new in our local gardens this week.
I always start my day with a buckwheat crepe from Marta who has a crepe stand. She is from Quebec so her savory crepes have a combination of cheese curd and Gouda with a sprinkling of pesto...a perfect start to my day!!! I prefer these savoury combinations over the banana & Nutella, strawberry or peach. Call me crazy!!!

I am still trying to convince some of the local producers that zucchini flowers need to be amongst what they offer this year. No one came through last year, but I hope to convince at least one producer of the value of this specialty.

By the time I arrived home it was lunch time, so I mixed up one of my favourite dressing from Moosewood Cafe with the spicy greens I had in my bag. Mollie Katzen is best known as the creator of the groundbreaking classics Moosewood Cookbook, and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Her other books include the award-winning children's cookbook trilogy, Pretend Soup,Honest Pretzels, and Salad People; Vegetable Heaven (winner of the International Cookbook Reveu Best in Category award); Sunlight Café; Eat, Drink, & Weigh Less (with Walter Willett, MD of Harvard), and the best-selling The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without.

**Moosewood Feta Garlic Salad Dressing**

1 cup olive oil
2-3 Tbs. vinegar
2-3 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp. dried dill or 1 Tb. chopped fresh dill
Salt & pepper to taste
1 & 1/2 cup feta cheese
1 cup milk or buttermilk

**************
In a blender or food processor, whirl all the ingredients except the milk (or buttermilk) for one minute. With the blender running, slowly pour in the milk. As soon as the dressing thickens, turn off the blender, or the dressing will separate and become runny. It should be think and creamy. Chill at least 30 minutes so the flavors meld. Refrigerate, tightly covered. Feta Garlic Dressing will stay fresh for three or four days. If the dressing separates, simply reblend it.

Makes about 3 & 1/2 cups