Famous Chicken Tortilla Soup

I got this recipe from a friend who bragged that it was from a famous restaurant in Houston...which restaurant that would be I have no idea. We don't care whether it's famous or not--we love this meal. Not only is it flavorful and satisfying, but it's also one of my favorite stand-by meals for crazy nights. I use pre-cooked chicken and I can whip up a batch of this in 8 minutes flat...ready to eat. Seriously.
















The ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbs. oil
4 cups water

4 bouillon cubes (I use 2 chicken, 2 beef)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. cumin

1 Tbs. chili powder
1 bay leaf

1 can black beans
2 chicken breasts, cubed (I either use a Costco can of shredded chicken or leftover chicken chunks from another meal)
4 corn tortillas, torn in pieces
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (or regular diced tomatoes if you prefer)
Desired garnishments: sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips.


Saute chopped onion in hot oil. Cook until soft. [I usually skip the onion part and add some dried onions in with the rest of the ingredients] Add water, bouillon, beans, spices, tortillas, chicken, and tomatoes. Heat until boiling. If you are using pre-cooked chicken then it's ready to serve immediately, otherwise simmer until chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with sour cream, grated cheese, and corn tortilla chips. Serves 4.

Enjoy!