Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe

This is one of our favorite meals of all time! I got this recipe when I was newly married and living in Baltimore. When I first tried this at an Enrichment meeting I was struck by how delicious it was. Then when I discovered how easy it is to make I was completely hooked and it has been a regular part of our winter menu for the better part of a decade! Of course I have to make it once every summer for Cami's birthday dinner as well.  We love it served with some fresh crusty bread, like our bread bowls or French Peasant Bread.


The ingredients:

1 Tbs. oil
3 cups water
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 pkg. (10-oz.) chopped broccoli, thawed
3 cups milk
1 medium onion, chopped
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
pepper and garlic to taste (I use pressed fresh garlic, but the recipe calls for garlic powder)

Heat oil, add onions. Saute 3 minutes. Add water. Heat to boiling. Stir in bouillon cubes until dissolved. Add noodles and salt gradually so mixture continues to boil. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add broccoli and garlic . NOTE: To prevent my kids from picking out all the broccoli (can you believe it?), I blend about half of the frozen broccoli with a cup of the milk before adding it to the soup (I'm so tricky!). I chop the other half into small chunks. Cook 3 minutes more. Add milk, pepper, and cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Serves 6.

We like this served in bread bowls, but if you didn't have time to make bread bowls any kind of bread served on the side would be the perfect accompaniment.

Enjoy!