Russian Cucumbers in Sour Cream


In surfing blogs today I came across a recipe that I didn't have to make a trip to the store to get ingredients and was simple and easy to prepare. I had cucumbers and dill from the farmers market and chives in my patio garden. Jen at A2eatwrite says she first tried this dish while living in Russia. I agree with her in saying this is a "wonderfully refreshing summer treat". To view her original recipe please visit her blog right now....I will wait...aren't you glad you did? I knew you would be!!! Jen is blogging from Michigan where she teaches. We both have a deep seated joy in life and family; both celebrate a birthday in July and are kindred spirits in the kitchen.

I am submitting this to Bookmarked Recipes, a weekly blog event hosted by Ruth over at Ruth's Kitchen Experiments.

**Cucumbers in Sour Cream**

2 cucumbers
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 T cider vinegar (Jen says white balsamic works well; I used Champagne vinegar because that is what I had)
4 T snipped fresh chives (or equivalent number of dried teaspoons)
2 T snipped fresh dill (or 2 tsp dried dill)
pepper to taste
2 tsp salt

**************
If the cucumbers have been waxed, peel them; otherwise, wash them well but leave the peel on. Slice the cucumbers very thin and pat them dry with paper towels.

Mix together the remaining ingredients, adding vinegar to taste. Stir in cucumbers. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before refrigerating. NOTE: This is a VERY important step.

Serve well-chilled.

Serves 6