Green Bean Salad

A couple of days off of work are not spent idly. I need to be available for the summer so I have become a tourist in my own town relaxing at the beach, visiting local wineries and hiking the trails. I suppose for some this would be time spent idly...but what a way to spend time!!!

L'il Burnt Toast and I drove south to Penticton on the holiday Monday. The young people flock there in droves when the weather is perfect to float down the canal from Lake Okanagan to Skaha Lake. It would be fun but considering it is a social event as well as a beer fest it is for the young...not that I am not young at heart. Downing beer in the blazing heat would not be my idea of fun at this stage in my life.....well at least not yesterday...wink...wink... Instead we opted for lunch at Vallarta Grill which has been voted the #1 Mexican restaurant in the South Okanagan. It is owned and operated in true Mexican style...not Mexican style food. If we had have been staying in Penticton I would have taken our waiter up on the Tequila Popper from my favourite Cabo Wabo ...hic...hic!!!!

This morning while wandering in the valley I remembered that the local farmers market was also open on Wednesday mornings as well as Saturday. Only a foodie could get excited by the site of heirloom tomatoes, purple green beans, garlic scapes and corn on the cob. My daughter was on a boat South once more to see the Snowbirds.

The purple green beans gave me the idea of making my old standby green bean salad but stepping it up a notch. After blanching them though they became green just like all the others so I was a little disappointed...but oh well..all the flavour was still there.

**Green Bean Salad**

2 cups (500 mL) green beans (or in this case green, yellow and purple)
1 medium red or green pepper, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh herbs (basil, oregano, summer savory)
1/4 cup (60 mL) chives, chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
1/4 cup (60 mL) balsamic or cider vinegar ( I used my old standby apple cider vinegar)

****************
Steam green beans until tender but still crisp. Allow to cool for approximately 5 minutes. Add to serving bowl along with red or green peppers, garlic, herbs, and chives. (I also added 1/4 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion)

In smaller bowl, combine mustard, olive oil, and vinegar.

Pour dressing over bean mixture and toss.

Serves 6