Happy Birthday to me.........


I have had a few days off from work which I have taken full advantage of visiting wineries, swimming at the beach...you know being a tourist in my own town. As luck would have it these days coincided also with my birthday. This was a big one ending in a "0"...you do the math....wink...wink...When in the real world does a person get a chance to do whatever they want on their birthday if it falls during the work week? Since a whirlwind trip to Vegas or a Greek island was out I opted for the next best thing and enjoyed what the Okanagan Valley has to offer. After all this is a destination tourists flock to in droves and the weather has been perfect for all that the valley has to offer.

Last night my daughter took me to Bouchons one of our local restaurants for a celebratory dinner. It is rated as one of the top 4 in the area with good reason. If you ever want to impress someone or treat them to a world class dining experience without all the stuffiness of fine dining this is one of the best places to go in Kelowna for French Cuisine. Their Chef Dominique Couton was voted chef of the year when he lived in Vancouver by the toughest panel in the city.

The photos were taken in haste but it will give you an insight into my birthday dinner. For starters I opted for : Warm Goat Cheese in a Filo Purse with Figs and Prosciutto

'Lil Burnt Toast decided upon: Seared Crab Cakes with Chipotle Aioli


As an entree I relished: Herb Roasted Half Cornish Hen with Pepper Sauce



You can see the pomme frites they serve with every meal (which I might add are to die for) although I really had "no room in the inn" to enjoy them.

My daughter oohed and aahed over: Skin Grilled Red Snapper "Monaco Style"



For dessert I forced down...wink...wink....a Crème Brûlée Flight : honey-saffron, Grand Marnier and chocolate-café


While my lovely daughter wolfed down Callebaut Chocolate Mousse:

The photos are not clear perhaps from the late evening or maybe too much wine....wink...wink...

Is that my daughter holding her stomach...she has "no room in the inn" either.

Bouchons does not offer your typical French fare with tons of butter and cream but they still have high quality creative dishes and pay attention to every detail. This restaurant is highly recommended and somewhat casual. Come to think of it everything about Kelowna is a casual resort town where suits and ties are almost taboo.

Bon appetit!!